Financial help for carers

The Australian Government Department of Human Services has collated a list of financial assistance available for carers:

Financial help for carers

Carer Payment provides financial help to people who are unable to work in substantial paid employment because they provide full time daily care for:

  • someone with severe disability or medical condition, or
  • someone who is frail aged

Carer Allowance is an income supplement for parents or carers providing extra daily care for:

  • an adult or dependent child with disability or a medical condition, or
  • someone who is frail aged

Carer Allowance is a fortnightly payment. There is an annual income test , but no assets test. Carer Allowance is not taxable and can be paid in addition to:

  • wages
  • Carer Payment, or
  • any other income support payment

Carer Supplement is an annual lump sum payment.  It helps with the costs of caring for a person with disability or a medical condition. You’ll get Carer Supplement if you’re receiving Carer Payment or Carer Allowance.

Carer Adjustment Payment is a one off payment. It helps families deal with the increased costs of caring for a child 7 years of age or younger who has had a sudden and severe illness or accident.

Child Disability Assistance Payment is an annual lump sum payment. It helps parents with the costs of caring for a child with disability.

Pensioner Education Supplement helps students with the ongoing costs of full time or part time study in a secondary or tertiary course.

Carers Victoria summary of payment information

Carers Victoria has summarised the carer payments information in a an easy-to-read-format.

Payments to help carers with dependent children

Family Tax Benefit helps parents or guardians with the cost of raising children. It's made up of 2 parts, Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B.

Parenting Payment helps parents or guardians to cover the cost of raising children.

Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance provides extra help. It pays for approved child care when eligible parents undertake activities, such as:

  • job search
  • work
  • study
  • training, or
  • rehabilitation to enter the workforce as part of a Job Plan or Participation Plan

Double Orphan Pension helps with the costs of:

  • caring for orphans, or
  • children whose parents are unable to care for them in certain circumstances

There is no income or assets test for Double Orphan Pension.

Other help carers should know about

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme helps eligible people with permanent and severe incontinence to pay for incontinence products.

The Essential Medical Equipment Payment helps with:

  • the extra costs of running essential medical equipment, and
  • medically required heating or cooling, or both

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

Carer Gateway provides a broad range of information about services and support available for carers.

 ASIC's MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website.

Visit the Australian Government website to find our more about Payments for Carers.


Veterans Affairs concession cards

The Department of Veterans Affairs has collated a list of concessions available to veterans and their dependents.

Mental Health Carer Support Fund

The Mental Health Carer Support Fund aims to meet the needs of family members and friends supporting a person who is receiving services from a Victorian Area Mental Health Service.

It provides funding to assist people in their support role, to promote and sustain the relationship, and improve the wellbeing of families and members of the community performing this role.

To find out more visit the Tandem website.


Victorian concessions

The Victorian Government has collated information about concession cards available in Victoria and how to apply.

Find out about Victorian concessions.


Australian government concession and health care cards

Concession and health care cards can get you cheaper health services and medicines.

For more information visit the Australian Government website

No Interest Loans NILS

Carers Victoria has been approved as a Good Shepherd Microfinance No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) community program provider. NILS gives Australians on low incomes access to fair and safe credit to purchase important items, from home appliances to medical treatment. NILS loans of up to $1200 are usually available for the purchase of household items. You can also apply for a NILS loan to pay for essential items like medical aids. For more information, go to:


Victorian Carer Card

The Victorian Government Carer Card program provides eligible unpaid primary carers with access to a wide range of discounts, incentives, specials and deals created especially for them. Carers will enjoy discounts on food and drink, homewares, travel and entertainment. The Carer Card is your ticket to a whole range of fantastic products, goods and services, and experiences. For more information and to apply for a Carer Card, go to: